Friday, October 29, 2010

2008 Dunning Vineyards Vin de Casa



We got our bi-annual shipment of Dunning Vineyards about two weeks ago. Amazing enough, I was able to keep my hands off it until last night when I opened the 2008 Dunning Vineyards Vin de Casa, Paso Robles. This is their entry-level blend of 45% Cabernet Franc, 35% Zinfandel and 20% Syrah. You may recall that I posted a note on this wine back in May. Last night's experience was pretty similar with the nose of dusty cherries, licorice, vanilla and alcohol. Six months ago, the herbaceous element to the wine was pretty much limited to the finish. But last night, there was a distinct note of bay leaf on the palate. I can only assume this is the Cabernet Franc's way of asserting itself now that the wine has been in bottle for a little over a year now. The wine seems to have picked up a bit of weight, too, as it is considerably more tannic and acidic than I remember. A big, serious wine for about $25.

Foodwise, it probably needs something more substantial than last night's homemade pizza. It could easily stand up to a big steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment