Wednesday, October 13, 2010

2008 Permutations Pinot Noir



I've never been a fan of Pinot Noir from Down Under; Australia or New Zealand. I've always found them to be too lean, tart and under-ripe for my California-centric palate. And the 2008 R Wines Permutations Pinot Noir, Victoria does little to change my impression. The color is rather transparent as I would expect a Pinot Noir at this price point to be. But I won't hold that against it. The nose is redolent of herbs and tart cranberry fruit. Rather lean and taut on the palate with herbal, tart fruit influence. Firmly acidic - I suppose this might show better paired with something like an herb-crusted pork tenderloin. Bit of buttery oak on the finish.

I'm not in the habit of saving wines for day two, but I had a bit of this left over from last night. After 24 hours or so, it seems to have picked up a bit of weight and sweetness, but not enough to make me want to recommend it to anyone I like. About $11.

No comments:

Post a Comment