Friday, October 1, 2010

2008 Cline Mourvedre



The teachers were gracious enough to leave us just enough pork for dinner. So I wanted to open something pretty bold and fruity to go with the smoky meat. I had completely forgotten that I had bought this a few weeks ago, so I was pleasantly surprised to find the 2008 Cline Ancient Vines Mourvedre, Contra Costa County hiding in the cellar. I've seen darker Mourvedres, but at this price point, I'm not a complainer. All of the beautiful, classic Mourvedre aromas of plum, chocolate and leather with a solid whiff of alcohol (14.5%). Sweet-tart plum on the palate with surprisingly assertive acidity and tannins. Finishes with a distinct note of hickory smoke. To its credit, the wine shows no trace of dill or Bourbon from the heavy toast 100% American oak (25% new). I would definitely buy this again. Fairly priced at just under $15.

No comments:

Post a Comment