Monday, May 10, 2010

2008 Dunning Vin de Casa


2008 Dunning Vineyards Vin de Casa, Paso Robles - This blend of 45% Cabernet Franc, 35% Zinfandel and 20% Syrah sports a beautiful, magenta-tinted purple color. The nose is warm and inviting and features an abundance of sweet cherry, licorice and a hint of wintergreen. Medium-bodied on the palate with more sweet cherry flavors and dusty Zinfandel spice. The moderately long, herbaceous finish is there to remind you that the principle component of this blend is Cabernet Franc.

My wife and I spent a glorious week in Paso Robles in April of 2009. While we were there, the guest house at Dunning Vineyards was our base of operations. Ironically, it wasn't until our final day there that we had an opportunity to taste the wines from Dunning. We were instantly smitten with his wines; particularly his Cabernet Sauvignons and Syrahs. At $24 per bottle, I think the Vin de Casa is a bit pricey for a "house wine," but I'll eagerly devour my stash of it as I wait for his Cabs and Syrahs to mature in the cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment