Saturday, October 29, 2011

2009 Textbook "Fin de Journee" Cabernet


What is it with me picking tart, lean wines these days? On the heels of last night's Shug Pinot, I crack open the 2009 Textbook Fin de Journee Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley. What we have here is a Cabernet whose finest attribute is, unfortunately, the deep, rich color. The tart raspberry, herb and tobacco leaf nose give way to tart fruit and shrill acidity on the palate. The tannins are moderate and the oak is certainly not obtrusive. In fact, it takes a good long while before the smoky French oak reveals itself. Seems a bit more alcoholic than the stated 14.5%. I'm not one of these guys who demands melted asphalt and kirsch liqueur in his Cabs, but I do prefer mine with a little more body and concentration than this one offers. Might appeal to fans of more European-styled Cabs and Bordeaux blends, but for me it's an easy "pass" at $23.

No comments:

Post a Comment