Wednesday, October 12, 2011

2010 Clos du Bois Sauv. Blanc, 2009 Treasure Hunter Cab. Sauv.

2010 Clos du Bois Sauvignon Blanc, North Coast - Very pale color. Light lemon, tart grapefruit nose. Seems pretty watered-down on the tart, herbaceous palate. May appeal to fans of New Zealand style Sauvignon Blanc, but I'm not a buyer at this, or any price. I really just don't understand the whole concept of these overly generic, mass produced wines. How much more effort does it take to seek out a bottle of Mason (California) or Walnut Block Collector's (New Zealand) for the same $10?

2009 Treasure Hunter Silk Sling Cabernet Sauvignon, St. Helena - Deep, vibrant purple hue. Although the AVA listed on the label is "St. Helena," a little bit of digging on the Kit Fox Vineyards website reveals that the true origin of this wine is the base of Spring Mountain. And let me tell you, folks, this is classic Spring Mountain Cabernet. (Someone cue the evil, spooky organ music.) Huge nose of cherry Jolly Rancher candy, Bourbon (I have no doubt this is aged in American oak) and a considerable green leafy/tobacco note. The tannins on the palate are as big as the fruit is tart. Super dry with a long, long dusty finish. Although I don't care at all for this style of wine, I can tell it's well made and very representative of its origin or terroir. About $25.

I was much more impressed with the 2008 Treasure Hunter Radio Caroline Cabernet Sauvignon that I had last December. How I have such an affinity for Diamond Mountain wines and such an aversion to the wines from neighboring Spring Mountain is anybody's guess.

2 comments:

  1. Bill, the important part of your post, for me, is that you have strong opinions, this is how "ordinary" people can filter-out "iffy" wines.
    Good job,
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dennis. I appreciate the kind words. This place is my release from having to sugar coat everything we sell at work; including the Treasure Hunter I tasted last night.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete