Saturday, October 22, 2011

2007 Manos Negras Malbec

Tonight my wife and I quietly celebrated our 17th anniversary with college football on the television (Tennessee/Bama, USC/Notre Dame and a bit of Wisconsin/Michigan State) and carnitas. I made the carnitas by rubbing down a pork shoulder with kosher salt, ground cumin and ground chilies, searing it in Dutch oven and then simmering it in chicken stock and home made green tomato salsa for 5-6 hours. Delicious with a little cheese, chopped cilantro and hot sauce in a warm flour tortilla.

The wine I chose for the occasion was the 2007 Vino del Sol Manos Negras Malbec, Mendoza. Deep blood-red color. Warm, inviting nose of blackberry, spice and mocha. Aromas flow seamlessly onto the rich, spicy, chocolaty palate. The tannins are light and the acidity is rather low (borderline flabby?) so drink this now with something with spicy, south-of-the-border flavors. Consistent with my note from last month. About $15

No comments:

Post a Comment