Saturday, September 25, 2010

2005 Girard Zinfandel



I really try to drink Zinfandels as young as possible. I'm really not interested in them once they shed their briary fruit and pepper. So it was with great trepidation that I approached the 2005 Girard Old Vine Zinfandel, Napa Valley. The color has definitely faded into a muted garnet. While there is still a trace of rustic berry and spice on the nose, a lot of the fruit seems to have faded; only to be replaced with oak. Although the wine was aged predominately in French oak, there's a Bourbon streak that suggest the American oak has taken over. The longer it sits in the glass, the more of a burnt rubber aroma develops. Still has grippy tannins and acidity. I wish I had tried this wine 2-3 years ago as I don't think time has been very kind to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment