Saturday, July 2, 2011

2007 Kiralyudvar Furmint Sec

The garden continues to bless us with a bounty of fresh herbs and vegetables. Tonight's dinner was grilled salmon filets with a ginger/rosemary rub, steamed broccoli from the garden (sadly, likely the only head of broccoli we're going to get) and spaghetti noodles tossed with pesto (basil and garlic from our garden).

The wine I chose to accompany the meal was the 2007 Kiralyudvar Furmint Sec, Tokaj. Never having had a dry Hungarian wine, I went into this bottle free of preconceived notions; good or bad. Rather dark in color. Pretty close to what I would expect from an oak-aged Chardonnay. The nose is a complex stew of overripe apricot, peach, mushroom and more than a hint of oxidation. On the palate, the wine has a lot of the aforementioned ripe apricot and peach flavors with lots of mineral and acid. Quite full-bodied; almost oily in texture. And I dare say this is approaching off-dry status as I think there's a bit of residual sugar in here. It smells and tastes like a dessert wine that someone allowed to ferment for a bit too long. Simply outstanding with the food. But once the food is gone, the wine quickly loses its charm. About $20

I'm really glad I tried this wine. And it was a great partner to the food. That being said, it's a bit tedious on its own and I really don't think I like it enough to warrant purchasing additional bottles. Recommended; with reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment