Monday, January 3, 2011

2007 Dunning Cabernet Sauvignon

No surprise that I enjoyed the 2007 Dunning Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles tonight. I've been in their wine club ever since visiting their winery (and staying in their guest house) in April of 2009. The wine is a dark as ever. That is to say, black as night. There's some blackberry in the nose, but the aromatics don't seem to be as fruit-driven as previous bottles. Rather, the nose is dominated by aromas of mineral and graphite with a generous dollop of French oak. Lots of that minerality follows through on the palate where the aforementioned blackberries start to assert themselves. Considerable tannins and acidity. I think I have two or three of these left. Might be worth holding on to one or two for 5-7 years just to see what happens.

Dinner tonight was grilled rib eye over a sweet corn risotto served with grilled asparagus. On its own, the risotto was devastatingly delicious. But I fear the steak and Cabernet may have been a bit too much for it. I'm thinking of trying this again soon with something lighter; perhaps grilled salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment