Thursday, December 9, 2010

2008 Wallace Brook Pinot Gris

Enjoyed the delicious 2008 Wallace Brook Pinot Gris, Willamette Valley tonight with a homemade pizza inspired by internet acquaintance Mel Hill. Mel, a professional photographer, featured a picture of a pizza he topped with creme fraiche, melted leeks and diced steelhead tout on his Facebook page and I knew I had to try my hand at duplicating it. To no one's surprise, there was no steelhead trout or leeks at Wal*Mart the other day so I made do with salmon and scallions. In a word: stunning. What a great pizza. The crust was cracker thin (I think the creme fraiche had something to do with that) and the diced salmon, placed raw on the pizza, was cooked perfectly after 10 minutes at 500 degrees. I'll definitely be making this one again. Maybe next time I'll lightly smoke the salmon beforehand.

The pizza in the background, by the way, was made with fresh pesto, mozzarella, leftover shredded chicken and red onions. This one is already in the regular rotation.

The wine was a great partner with the pizza. Beautiful aromatics and flavors of fresh pear, granny smith apple, lemon and mineral. Medium-bodied with just a hint of yeast and smoke. Bracing acidity keeps everything lively. Rumor has it this is declassified Pinot Gris from Adelsheim. A ridiculous value at $11 or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment