Saturday, December 11, 2010

2003 Paul Blanck Pinot Gris


Dinner tonight was my take on Jamie Oliver's Turkey and Sweet Leek Pie. I couldn't find any chestnuts here in the greater Paola, KS area so I had to make do with an unadorned puff pastry crust. And I used the last of my pheasant breast (poached in pheasant stock all day long) in place of turkey. The pie was, in a word, ridiculous. So delicious and rich with the flaky crust, tender pheasant breast, fresh herbs and decadent gravy. The perfect, steamy dinner to warm the cockles of my heart when it's 16 degrees and snowy with a steady 30 mph wind.

The wine I opened wasn't a perfect match. In fact, it was far from perfect as it was much too sweet to pair with the savory, upscale pot pie. But on its own, it was delicious. The 2003 Paul Blanck Pinot Gris, Alsace shows an advanced, golden color - but nothing unexpected considering the wine's age. The nose is alive with a veritable fruit cocktail of sweet fruits: pear, apricot, peach and more than a hint of petrol. The palate is oily and thick with flavors of petrol and ripe apricot. Acidity is fading, but still lively. Suffers a touch from a bitter, clipped finish. Considerably sweeter than I had hoped for. At this age, I think this would be a tremendous wine with seared foie gras or a simple cheese plate. About $24.

No comments:

Post a Comment