Wednesday, December 14, 2011

2007 Hess Allomi Vyd. Cabernet

My small clutch of 2007 Hess Allomi Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley has been hit or miss; mostly miss. I drank my last bottle tonight and thankfully the relationship ended on something of a happy note. Consider it a break-up when both parties agree to part ways. Nothing to complain about with the color. Nose seems somewhat woody and stemmy, but there's plenty of sweet cherry fruit in there, too. The palate starts off nice and smooth, but turns tart and alcoholic on the finish. tannins are fierce, but I fear there isn't enough fruit for this wine to age very well. Finishes with lots of wood and dry bay leaf characteristics. Nice enough with dinner, but just a bit too dry and tart for my preferences. About $25.

Dinner was a delicious venison stroganoff made with meat from a doe I shot last week on my property during deer season. I've heard horror stories about how dry and tough venison meat is, but this was buttery tender. I'm not sure exactly which cut I used as the processor just labelled it "venison roast" but it resembled a smaller version of a beef rump roast.

2 comments:

  1. Bill, I've tried two of Hess' Reds (I have others not yet tasted), but so far I have not been that pleased with them, and I know that all the critics love these wines.
    As for the S. Minor wines, next month NHLStores will have a 15% sale and I'm on that with the PN you have recommended!
    Be good Chef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a huge fan of the high end Hess Collection Cab back in the early 90s when it sold for $25 or so. But I haven't had one in a long, long time. Saw the Allomi (this wasn't available 20 years ago) a while back and took a chance. I won't be going back for more.

    And just for the record, I've never been a fan of their cheaper "select" bottling.

    ReplyDelete