Saturday, November 26, 2011

2008 Dunning Private Reserve Syrah


We had the trip from hell on the way home from St. Louis today (90 minute standstill on I-70 do to a wreck, rained the entire time, restless kids, etc.) and didn't have a whole lot in the fridge/pantry to make for dinner once we got home. Quickly thawed out a couple of tuna steaks and added a beaten egg, some mayo, bread crumb, red onion and seasoning. Fried them in a little olive oil and turned them into some darn tasty tuna burgers. Topped them with a little mayo/chili-garlic sauce/lime juice. Needing something bold an assertive to accompany the tuna (and take the edge off the afternoon), I grabbed the first of my stash of 2008 Dunning Vineyards Private Reserve Syrah, Paso Robles.

I've had the 2005 and 2007 (numerous occasions) of this wine, but this is the first time I've had the 2008 since I tasted it from barrel in Paso about two years ago. So primal. So much potential. So delicious. The inkiest of black colors. The nose is still reminiscent of a barrel sample with grapey, yeasty, fermentation aromas with just a bit of coffee and French oak starting to peek through. Monstrous tannins on the palate are consistent with the previous vintage of this wine. Lots of dry cocoa, blackberry and black pepper on the palate, too. Wonderful acidity. Five years or so in the cellar and this should bloom into something beautiful. About $30

I'm currently sitting on four bottle of the '07 and one more '08, but I'm hoping to receive additional bottles of the '08 with the next shipment or two from Dunning.

2 comments:

  1. Bill, your wife must love you! What a Chef! My mother could whip up a meal from "nothing" too, and in my mind she was the best cook ever. I wonder, would the kid have rather had Taco Bs or have they grown accustom to your flare?
    Anyway, your description of the Dunning had my mouth watering; great post.
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Dennis! The kids have had very limited exposure to fast food. When we eat out, it's usually a mom-and-pop restaurant or a chain like Jason's Deli. We try to avoid the Taco Bells and McDonald's. About the worst place we take them is Subway.

    ReplyDelete