Thursday, November 14, 2013

2007 Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon

Ahh, Mount Veeder Winery. When I was still cutting my teeth on wine in the early 90s, my father-in-law told my wife and I that Mount Veeder was always a good, go-to Napa Valley Cabernet. I still remember buying a bottle of 1987 from a retailer in Atlanta for a "special dinner" back in the day. I'm pretty sure I had at least a few bottles of each of their vintages throughout the 90s and into the early part of the new millennium. I don't buy it on a regular basis any more, but I couldn't resist when I saw a few bottles of 2007 on closeout for $20 at a St. Louis grocery store last Christmas.

Things have been really hectic around the house for the last two weeks with volleyball, Cub Scouts, cheerleading, entertaining winery reps, high school football and a host of other extracurricular activities. Tonight, we had nothing on the calendar so we took the opportunity to enjoy a rare sit-down family meal with a couple of ridiculously thick ribeyes, braised Brussels sprouts and rice pilaf. I opened the last of my 2007 Mount Veeder Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley. Beautiful, deep garnet color doesn't show any sign of age. The nose is quite rustic with notes of brier, currant, coffee and licorice. The palate is fiercely tannic with super dry cocoa and dusty blackberry flavors. There's a hint of vegetation on the finish, but it is not in any way a detractor. If anything, it just adds a touch of complexity. I've had more than a few vintages of Mount Veeder Cabernets at the the 10-year mark and they only get better and better. I don't think this one is in any danger of going downhill any time soon, but I would drink it over the next few years before the rustic blackberry fruit fades. Frankly, I think the tannins are perfect right now with a well-marbled ribeye steak right off the charcoal grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment