Friday, July 27, 2012

2009 Star Lane Sauvignon Blanc

Been gone for the last two weeks or so at two family reunions. In a fortuitous twist of fate, my wife's family was having their bi-annual reunion in Pigeon Forge, TN the week before my family's annual reunion in Panama City FL. So we did a few days in Tennessee (cooking, whitewater rafting, cigars, drinking) before heading south to spend some time with my family (beach, pool, go-karts). I had a couple of nice wines in Tennessee, but the situation didn't really lend itself to taking notes and blogging so I just let it slide.

Switching gears, I've never been a big fan of the Olympic Games opening ceremonies. I thin it's really campy and contrived; sort of like a 5-hour long Super Bowl halftime show. But my wife and kids really get into it, complete with a spread of heavy appetizers to nosh on during the show.


While we were on vacation, the store where I work hosted the winemaker from Star Lane/Dierberg/Three Sisters. One of the wines poured in my absence was their 2009 Star Lane Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara. Thinking it would work well with cheese, crackers and my beloved braised tomato/goat cheese crostini, I opened a bottle. The wine has something of an advanced, brassy color. In the nose I get copious amounts of floral, grassy, green bell pepper aromas reminiscent of the best New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. As the wine opens up and warms, notes of bug spray develop. Quite tart in the mouth with grapefruit and green pepper flavors. Long, acidic finish. Although clean and well made, I really don't care for this style of Sauvignon Blanc. I was really expecting something different Something a little richer with peachy notes, perhaps?) from a partially oak-aged Sauvignon Blanc from Santa Barbara. C'est la vie! About $16.

No comments:

Post a Comment