Sunday, January 8, 2012

2010 Tablas Creek Patelin de Tablas


What a stunner. Shocking, I know, but Tablas Creek Vineyard has released yet another drop-dead gorgeous wine. The Patelin line (I gave my impression of their Patelin Blanc back in August) is new to their considerable catalog of Rhone varietals and blends and is primarily composed of purchased fruit. The 2010 Tablas Creek Vineyard Patelin de Tablas, Paso Robles is a blend of 39% Syrah, 36% Grenache, 22% Mourvedre and 3% Counoise. The color is a stunning magenta hue with blue highlights. On the nose I detect cranberry, blueberry, licorice and a good deal of gamey meat. The palate is very dry and tannic with new saddle leather, charcoal and licorice. At this point, I have to surmise that the Syrah and Mourvedre are in the forefront as I don't get a lot of Paso Robles Grenache character just yet. The finish just goes on and on and on. Priced in the low $20 range, the tariff just can't be beat. I foresee numerous bottles of this wine finding their way into the cellar for short- and medium-term consumption.

Dinner was a spice-rubbed tri-tip that I grilled to a perfect medium rare over coconut charcoal briquettes and dried basil stems and then topped with a lemon/basil compound butter. Great pairing as the wine's fruit and charcoal notes played off of the charred flavors of the beef. I've never had true Santa Maria-style BBQ, but I suppose this is pretty close. And the wine match was spot-on.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Bill! We're thrilled with how the first vintage of the Patelin came out. The 2011 (just being blended, and scheduled to be released late summer) should be just as good. These cooler years are wonderful for Syrah in Paso Robles.

    ReplyDelete