Wednesday, September 14, 2011

2006 Lindaflor "Petit Fleur"


This is the third (and final) time I've had the 2006 Lindaflor Petit Fleur, Mendoza in the last 14 months or so and unfortunately it seems to be getting worse and worse. The wine is a blend of unspecified amounts of Malbec, Merlot, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon.



My note from July of 2010 says "Fantastic color, blueberry, blackberry, coffee grounds and black pepper. Hint of cured meat/salami. Loads of dark fruits and spice on the palate. Big tannins and acidity."

Fast forward to February of this year and I get "Cotes du Rhone, black pepper, raspberry, spice, herb and coffee. Sweet and fat with chocolate, coffee and raspberry. Slightly medicinal, meaty aromas and alcohol have subsided, atypical."

Tonight the wine is just a goopy, syrupy mess of stewed fruit and cough syrup that doesn't speak of Argentina or Malbec. The color is still a dark, vibrant ruby but I'm not longer noting any of the dark fruits, spice or coffee from previous bottles. There's a decided element of herbal cough syrup/Jagermeister going on in the glass and the palate has lost all definition. The finish is still decently long, but long here doesn't equal profound - or even pleasurable. Good enough pairing with tonight's delicious Cajun-spiced rotisserie chicken, but really falls apart one the food is gone. I guess I have to admit my initial "drink now or hold for 5 years" advice was pretty far off base. If you have any of this, I'd recommend drinking it now. About $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment