Monday, August 30, 2010

2007 Delas St.-Esprit C-d-R



One of my favorite cheap and easy meals is to cut up a whole mess of fresh vegetables (squash, zucchini, eggplant, red onion, etc.) and grill them alongside a few links of Italian sausage. I like to call this my "mixed grill" and my favorite wine to drink with it is Cotes-du-Rhone. Tonight I gave the nod to the 2007 Delas Saint-Esprit, Cotes-du-Rhone. This blend of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre and Carignan hails from the southern Rhone, but it is made by a winery more renown for its Crozes-Hermitage and other wines from the northern half of the Rhone Valley.

The nose reveals stunning aromas and flavors of sour cherry, rhubarb and black pepper. Classic Rhone herbs, known as garrigue, play a supporting role. Acidity and moderate tannins are perfectly balanced with the fruit. Long, refreshingly tart finish. Outstanding wine for about $15.

No comments:

Post a Comment