Monday, February 18, 2013

2011 J Vineyards Pinot Gris



The 2011 J Vineyards and Winery Pinot Gris, California has one of the most amazingly intense noses I've come across in recent memory. Luscious waves of tangerine, ginger, cantaloupe and white flowers tantalize the nose while honeyed melon and mineral notes tease the palate. There's a hint of residual sugar on the finish, but it does not detract from the wine's overall crisp and clean nature. Would make an excellent summertime sipper. A beautiful wine in the sub-$15 range that paired perfectly with tonight's shrimp/shiitake mushroom/spinach/bowtie pasta toss.

I must confess, I haven't had anything from Jordan/J Vineyards in probably 20 years as I tend to avoid mass-produced/name brand labels when possible. But being a big domestic Pinot Gris fan, I thought I'd take a chance on this one that I saw at a grocery store in St. Louis over Christmas. Nice to see this starting to show up on retailers' shelves in the KC area.

4 comments:

  1. Nice review-the aromatics on this wine were outstanding. This wine is a steal at the sub-$15 range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I loved the 2010, and certainly will grab the 2011 when available, but I'll have to pay closer attention to the nose; nice review.
    Nick, has reviewed a number of J wines, and it would seem that we're all on board with the PG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bill for your luscious review on our 2011 J CA Pinot Gris, and you are right, it is a great summertime sipper. Your shrimp, shiitake mushroom, spinach and bowtie pasta pairing with the J Pinot Gris sounds tantalizing, we hope you enjoyed. Again, thank you for your J love, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like we're related! As you know, I also try to avoid mass produced labels & I prefer domestic, I think. But really I'm just a fan of the little guys, no matter where they are. They're a much more fun find ! I'll stop there lest I get preachy.

    I do like the J Pinot Gris, as well. It's a nice porch sipper!

    ReplyDelete