Monday, November 19, 2012

2009 Idle Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon



Yesterday was my 43rd birthday and I quietly celebrated around the house by doing some work on the chicken coop and putting some deer corn out in the woods by the blind. Deer season starts November 28th and I want to be ready! Took in the inaugural Formula 1 race in Austin, TX on SPEED. When this race was announced a year or so ago, I initially had plans to attend, but the expense just didn't make sense what with starting the new business and all. So I settled for watching it and the hilarious weekly clusterf*ck known as the Kansas City Chiefs on TV.

For dinner, I went with one of my old stand-by's - grilled flank steak. I also braised the last of our (frozen) brussels sprouts from the garden with white wine, shallots and bacon. For the wine, I chose a sample that arrived last week from Sonoma's Idle Cellars. This is a very small winery that we hope to be bringing to Kansas City in the very near future. Last week, the winemaker sent me a bottle of their Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah and Chardonnay. The 2009 Idle Cellars Los Chamizal Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley shows off a beautiful, opaque ruby color. The nose starts off with loads of sweet raspberry and Provencal herb and eventually reveals layers of cigar box and roasted coffee. The palate is a bit more austere than the nose would lead one to believe with its sweet-tart raspberry and dusty notes. Quite acidic. The tannins only kick in after a solid hour of air. Hides the 15.5% alcohol quite well. Long, herbaceous finish. Should retail for about $25. A blend of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Cabernet Franc and 6% Merlot. I really enjoyed this wine for its lean, lithe style and the acidity made it absolutely delicious with my signature garlicky/herbaceous/vinegary chimichurri sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Bill, sounds like you are anything but idle;)
    The label has that "Kungfu girl" look about it.
    I take-it that you'll let us know what the other varietals taste like!
    I just bet that you can't wait until Manning shows up:( http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/
    Hey, you never know!
    Oh, happy birthday young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dennis. It was a casual, leisurely country kind of birthday.

      I've also got a Merlot, Chard and Syrah from Idle in the on-deck circle. Probably taste the Merlot (and a single vineyard J. Storey Pinot Noir) with Thanksgiving dinner. We're so close to launching this business now I can taste it. You should really visit Idle Cellars website (and like them on Facebook if you're into such things). I think you would appreciate their photography. They take some really amazing photos in their vineyards and in the kitchen.

      I'm no Chiefs fan, but I do take some perverse pleasure in watching them get destroyed every week and then tuning in to local talk radio to hear the commentators and fans bash the players and organization. Call it schadenfreude or something.

      Regarding Manning, he's the only NFL player I ever harbored resentment towards when he made the switch from college to pro. He tormented my UGA Bulldogs for 4 years and I've been rooting against him ever since. But now that he's having a renaissance in Denver, I find myself cheering him on. What a great story he has been this season. If he can add two to the Chiefs' loss column this season, all the better. :)

      Delete